Sunday, February 17, 2008

Day 70 (365)


Day 70 (365)
Originally uploaded by NYCmiri
I heard the sad news today that Giovanni's IV Pizzeria is moving to smaller location after being practically forced out of it's current location. The reason, according to an employee, is to make way for big chain pharmacy. Bank of Bargain occupied two lots on this block and it went out of business a few weeks ago. This also made me sad because it was one of those neighborhood businesses that I came to count on for everything from toothpaste to shower curtain to silverware and even underwear.

See, these businesses are located in Highbridge, the neighborhood I called home for more than half of my life. I also work in this neighborhood, so I have many reasons to still consider it home. Many changes are happening too fast around here with the new stadium and all and seeing the landscape change worries me a bit. I just hope it's all for the best.

2 comments:

Migs said...

It's not for the best. In less than 6 months, I might not be living in the Bronx anymore. Astronomical rents have erased the little bit of Bronx culture. All that remains is a freakin' Starbucks to make it official.

Ms. DeLeon said...

I know what you mean, I can barely afford to live here now, I can't imagine how it'll be in afew years.