Thursday, August 03, 2006

ola de calor

It’s amazing how new Yorkers can manage to freak out about something as trivial as the weather. Yes it’s hot, but that’s part of what some of us like to call SUMMER. I watched the news this morning for about 10 minutes and apparently the rest of the world the world has stopped. There is nothing else going on but the heat wave in NYC. I understand that 110 heat index is pretty uncommon to us and it’s noteworthy, but aren’t we blowing this a little out of proportion. I have had trouble walking to school and getting there awfully sweaty, but that’s expected.

I am not generally one to complain about the heat. I don't even own an ac and so far I’ve been ok. On the first two days of this infernal weather, I slept through the night (or whatever that means in my case) and managed to stay relatively cool. I grew up in a tropical country where there were several power outages a day. Duke on the other hand has lived his whole life (7 years) here in NY. Nevertheless he doesn’t complain much about the heat either. He was ok with his little fan circulating hot air around his room. Last night for some reason he wasn’t able to stand it. He walked into my room with his cheeks bright red and asked “mom, can we please go to tio’s house). Since he never asks for much I couldn’t say no.

I called my brother and his wife an told them I was taking them on their offer to let me throw a mattress on their livingroom floor. I grabbed my thin sultan Ikea mattress and two sheets and camped at Luis A.'s living room. I have to say, my brother is an absolute beast. His living room was a meet freezer. In the middle of the night I had to get up to turn the AC down a bit because Duke was trembling. He also has internet ( real internet) so I was able to upload a few pictures an to chat with some neglected friends. Needless to say, Duke slept until almost 10 this morning

I hope this passes soon, for Duke’s sake and so we can go back to hearing about other senseless news, but please no more heat wave stories.

Hot and sweaty reporting from apt. 7c this is 254 correspondent MDL.

No comments: