Sunday, October 29, 2006

Pejig, Nìj, Niswi……

NOTE TO THE READER: If my sentence structure and vocabulary usage seems stranger than usual, please bear with me. I have been reading my linguistics book all night and I have managed become even more confused about the English language.


So I gave up on my search for a Little Red Ridinghood costume that didn’t expose 90% of my total cutaneous membrane and its accessory structures. I opted for a conservative version of a native maiden from Frankbee’s. Of course as a social studies teacher, I should know whether or not the features and prints of my costume are historically correct, but I didn’t really have time to research the Powhatan, although I did try to brush up a bit on my Algonquian. I am also straying a bit from traditional native footwear, since I’m wearing a platform wedge with a crossed vamp. (see fig. 1.1) ……he he


Fig. 1.1

I have officially proclaimed myself a sleep deprived Pocahontas this Halloween (or “Character Day, as my principal calls it). I didn’t have to buy a wig for obvious reasons, but I did actually comb my hair in order to be able to braid it. I’ve already worn the costume to last Saturday’s surreal experience my friends called a party. Most people seemed to able to tell I was supposed to be Pocahontas, which a good sign.

It is now Tuesday .... Halloween day....today after work I will be going trick-or-treating with Duke, Nao and Briana. Duke will be Jackie Robinson, a costume created by yours truly, at the request of my baseball craze offspring. I’m not sure what Nao will be, and Briana will be a vampire, I think….After that, I’ll go fail my linguistics midterm, for which I’ve been studying all night.
--------------------------------------------------

On a totally unrelated subject, I went to see Slava’s Snow Show last night at the Union Square Theater and I have to say I was impressed with this off-Broadway thing. I am not much of a theater enthusiast, so I was expecting to be lightly amused by it, but this was very different than anything I have ever seen. Duke and had to spin the wheel of adjectives to be able to describe it accurately and it landed on phenomenal (yes we are a little obsessed with sprint commercials).

I absolutely recommend anyone that has a taste for interactive theater to go and see this show before its final performances in New York in January. Some of my favorite parts were the extraordinarily realistic paper snow storm and the gigantic ball tossing in which the entire audience participated. There is also a wide range of emotions evoked and portrayed which was interesting since the entire play is basically wordless, although the music is amazing (especially the samba

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for going w/me yesterday. Better days will come or then we are in deep trouble :), Love Nao.

Delta said...

Send me your snail mail addy to deltamoon95 @ yahoo dot com so I can get your little piece of art finished and in the mail to you within the next week or so.