Sunday, October 01, 2006

more random stuff

heatpic

This morning I woke up with wierd sensation. For starters, I slept for nearly 12 hours, which is highly unusual for me. I also remembered my dreams, which is also highly infrequent. I had a sequence of really strange dreams that began with my nephew Elias being born [this dream doesn't need explaining, since my sis-in-law has gone into false labor a few times within the past week]. The next dream had something to do with a big yellow balloon and walking the rain, well more like drizzle (a little Santiago Nazarish, yet not quite bird shit and hopefully without his fate) …finally in the last dream I was really upset because I ran out of dishwashing detergent…[ha ha as if]. I can't quite figure out what the symbolism is here. maybe I just overslept :)



Anyway, I have also been a little more aware of my surrounding than usual. By this I mean I've been unintentionally eavesdropping. See, I'm not usually the kind of person that purposely listens to other people's conversations, but lately I have caught myself actually interested in what strangers have to say. For example the following is a fragment of a conversation between two guys sitting on the steps in front of a building in my neighborhood:



Listen man! The longer I live, the more I think about life as foil paper… you know how you hear that people are born a blank slate…nah, I think people are just born like a fresh piece of foil paper, when you first get it out of the box. As we meet people and have experiences we start to crease and then just wrinkle…...




[Note: this guy was talking loud enough for anyone to hear within a 2 block radius so it was almost impossible not to hear him]



Totally unrelated….. I went to the Wired NextFest with Duke yesterday and we were amazed with some of what we saw. Some things more useful and practical than others….some just too classic to resist, like pong from an interactive projector, he he…. I will put up pictures on the flicker when I get around to it:



Noteworthy things ===========>

> Brainball
> Virtuesphere
> International children's digital library
> GM Hy-wire
> Acceleglove
> Solar powered communication
> Dandelion and blower interactive screen
> Media mirror
> Pixelroller
> Leaf personal light
> Power-aware cord
> Archouse
> Polimars from orange and other green materials
> Ragbag
> DIGIWALL
> Lifestraw
> Bacteria Photographs
> VeinViewer
> Xerox thermal imaging
> Juke Bots
> Clay animation booth



Just too Creepy for my taste ======>

> Atari Rabbit Therater
> Asian robot chick
> Alex Hubo (weird Einstein robot)
> Paro
> Shadow Dextrous hand
> Partner Ballroom Dance Robots



There was also a ball throwing competition with robot built by high school students…among the schools competing were Stuyvesant, Brooklyn Tech and Bronx Science…why am I not surprised…anyway…..Feeling that my life seems a bit more random than usual….. goodbye for now

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how you admit you're eavesdropping, but then defend it :)

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WENT TO NEXTFEST, DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (but thanks for the digitallife info!)

I read about the veinviewer being used as a fingerprint device because everybody has unique viens.

VEHHH-EEEENNNSSS!

You overslept, i'm exhausted. I THINK HAVE I AM DELIRIOUS BEES!

*yawn*

--
DD

Anonymous said...

Ok, the guy was talking very loud but to memorize everything!!!!!!
Love the picture!