Tuesday, July 31, 2007

update

more pictures uploaded to flickr
-------------------------------------------------------
I´ve been here for about a month and I already feel like a local again. I can ride public cars, go grocery shopping and travel to other cities by without assistence. Even though I am from here, I left Santiago when I was 11 almost 17 years ago, so I´ve had to pretty much relearn everything. I am really glad I decided to go on this trip. I feel relaxed, rested and energized, but not quite ready to return to my normal life...he he ... but it´s ok, I still have about another month before I that happens.

I should be tired and not relaxed since I´ve hardly been home lately. Between volunteering on weekday mornings and traveling on afternoons and weekends, I have time only to sleep and watch the occasional local news and law and order.

I recently visited my dad´s hometown of Restauracion (his very own Tangamandapio). I´ve also been to the beach and a bunch of cities around the northern region of the island including Puerto Plata, Santiago Rodriguez, Mao, San Francisco de Macoris, Santo Domingo, dajabon, Monte Cristi, Loma de Cabrera and a few campos here and there. I also went to the border with Haiti while I was in Dajabon, it was both interesting and depressing. Unfortunately I havent been able to upload all the pictures I have taken because the internet service is a little choppy.

I also went to "Camp David" a restaurant and hotel complex located just outside Santiago and over 6,500 feet above sea level. The view is amazing from there and the food was delicious. The restaurant also holds a collection of Trujillo memorabilia and some of his cars.

I am planning the tour near the south coast for the next couple of weeks.... pictures will come soon after.

mdl

No comments: